No doubt, the putter is the most important club in your bag. Not only is it the most used golf club during any of your rounds, it is the one golf club you use for draining birdies and saving those important pars. Sinking those tough bogeys are respectable too. Typically, putts make up around 50% of the total strokes in your rounds! As fellow avid golfers, we’re all trying to lower that number and take money off our buddies. Having a solid putting aid at your disposal can help bring out the best putting performance for your golf game.
Best Putting Alignment Training Aid
Premium Golf Alignment Mirror
Best Overall Putting Alignment Aid
One of the simplest putting training aids, this is effective in improving your stroke and confidence quickly. Not to mention it is ultra portable to bring with you to the course!
The Premium Golf Alignment mirror helps you make sure your back stroke is pure and on line, while also keeping the shaft steady and straight. This is a simple putting aid that will show improvement and build confidence extremely quickly on the greens!
Best Putting Guide Training Aid
Eyeline Golf Putting Rail
Best Putting Guide
If your struggles on the green are keeping your putter aligned through your stroke, a putting rail is just the training aid to improve your game
While this training aid isn’t as cool or flashy as some of the laser systems we have reviewed, it truly gets the job done and will help your stroke almost immediately. If you are brining the putter back off line or following through off line, you will be hitting the rail and be forced to correct with your next putt.
Best Putting Mat
Perfect Practice Putting Mat
Best Putting Mat
The beauty of a good putting mat is the ability to set it up anywhere, and the perfect practice matt comes with two sized holes and a ball return for endless practice
The Perfect practice putting mat system comes with a regulation sized hole, and a smaller hole to really hone in your accuracy and confidence. It also measures out distances so you can build up from the 2 foot putts all the way to the 10 foot putts. This is surely to help your game and build your confidence on the putting greens fast!
Best Putting Alignment Aid
The most portable of all our putting training aids, the Premium Golf putting mirror helps improve your alignment and gain that extra confidence in your stroke to start draining birdies on 10 foot putts!
Best Putting Guide Aid
A simple putting rail system to get your stroke and technique back in order, so you won’t be pushing or pulling easy putts past the hole
Best Putting Mat
On of the top notch putting matts on the market, this is durable and provides everything needed to get all the essentials mastered
Our Research and Findings
Putting aids provide feedback to golfers about their putting stroke. The feedback can reveal information about your alignment, speed, grip, clubhead release and posture. All of these are important factors to refine and continuously improve your game, and putting aids can with the help that! We can’t guarantee that you will become a clutch putter like Tiger Woods, but we can show you the tools that lead to a better and more consistent putting stroke.
There are various kinds of putting aids available. They range from putting mats and mirrors to guided rails and even lasers. Each one has their own merits and work on specific aspects of your putting stroke. Let’s jump into putting aids below and find the right one for you.
The Best Putting Training Aids of 2021
Table of Contents
- 1 The Best Putting Training Aids of 2021
- 1.1 2. Eyeline Golf Putting Rail
- 1.2 3. Perfect Practice Putting Mat
- 1.3 4. Eyeline Golf Putting Mirror - Large
- 1.4 5. PuttOut Pressure Putt Trainer
- 1.5 6. Visio Laser Optics Putting Aid
- 1.6 7. WellPutt Putting Mat
- 1.7 8. Pelz Golf DP4007 Putting Tutor
- 1.8 9. Laser Putt Golf Putting Aid
- 1.9 10. Pelz Putting O-Ball
- 2 Types of Golf Putting Training Aids
- 3 Wrapping it all up
1. Premium Golf Alignment Mirror
Best Putting Alignment Training Aid to improve putting accuracy
- True Line Putting Mirror for aligning your eyesight above the golf ball
- Adjustable ergonomic rails
- Slots for inserting tees to create the famous “Gate Drill”
- Comes with dual-color practice golf balls
- Easy to use and draw your lines
- Can be used anywhere on the green
- Portable and easy to carry around
- High durability and strong
- Only works on alignment
- Hard to use indoors if you don’t have carpet or a putting mat
Struggling with your aim and alignment? The Premium Golf Putting Alignment Mirror is one of the best tools to get your putts started on the right line. It features plenty sharply contrasted lines to help golfers visualize and practice their setup. The ergonomic rails give golfers the ability to adjust to your stroke path. Additionally, the tee slots help golfers hone and control their putting strokes.
Perhaps the best feature is the True Line. Ideally, a golfer’s eyeline should be held right above the golf ball during their stroke, and this feature helps golfers practice this technique. This easy to use alignment aid will polish your putting stroke and greatly improve the accuracy of your putts. Overall, if you need to work on your putting stroke this is one of the best putting training aids for golfers of all calibers!
2. Eyeline Golf Putting Rail
Best Putting Training Aid to help golfers guide their stroke
- Thermoformed plastic rail, durable and light
- Velcro strips for holding the rail in place
- Markings on the rail for guiding the perfect putting arc
- Can be adapted to a putting mirror
- Grinds your putting stroke to achieve a perfect putting arc
- Helps practice consistent contact for best impact on the ball
- Can be used anywhere with a putting surface
- Can be hard to store and bring
- Relatively pricey
The Eyeline Putting Rail is your classic guided putting aid. The main focus is to directly improve the path of the golf putter head throughout the stroke. A solid putting arc will result in proper impact when striking your putts. You can also pair the Putting Rail with an alignment mirror to ensure your putts are aligned properly.
This is a simple tool for grooving a good stroke with the perfect putting arc. This putting training aid will help you hone your putting technique and ensure you are pulling or pushing easy puts by the hole!
3. Perfect Practice Putting Mat
The Best Putting Practice Mat that can be used anywhere!
- 2 Hole Training (regulation and reduced size)
- Crystal Velvet TrueRoll Technology
- Ball Return ramp
- Natural Wood Finish
- Train Tracks Alignment Lines
- 10-14 Stimpmeter adjustable speed
- Used by professional level golfers
- Helps golfers work on aim and feel
- Ball return feature is convenient
- Wood frame makes for good aesthetics around the house
- Adjustable speed is useful
- One of the priciest putting mats on market
Diving into the putting mats, we introduce a real premium product – the Perfect Practice Putting Mat. Framed by natural wood, this putting mat works on improving aim and speed control. It features a ramp with a regulation size hole and a reduced size hole to practice your accuracy. On top of that, the frame is designed with a ball return feature making your practice convenient and easy to use.
The putting mat speed can change depending on the surface you lay out the mat. Harder surfaces result in faster speeds. The Perfect Practice putting mat is a popular training aid among tour pros and can surely help level up your putting game as well! The best part is you can set it up virtually anywhere; the basement, office, garage, or even dead center of the kitchen!
4. Eyeline Golf Putting Mirror - Large
Oversized Putting Mirror to improve alignment and putting stroke
- Easy to use for checking your setup with shoulder alignment and eyesight alignment lines
- Very portable
- Tee slots for the Gate Drill
- Comes with a putting gate post
- Good quality and is reasonably priced
- Helps golfers gain confidence
- Easy to use and can fixes all your misalignment issues
- Lightweight and portable
- Indoor use is best on a mat or carpet
- Known to warp under excessive exposure to intense sunlight
Similar to the Premium Golf Mirror, the Eyeline Golf Mirror (Large version) features all the lines and tee slots you need to fix that putting stroke and get you all lined up correctly. It features a shoulder line, an eye line and tee slots for that famous “Gate Drill” to ensure you’re hitting the ball on the sweet spot!
A bonus feature is this putting mirror comes with a guide that is placed on the mirror’s side facing the player to help ensure proper putter head path. This putting aid helps golfers improve both alignment/setup and putter clubhead pathway. It is one of the most comprehensive putting aids available to help sharpen up your putting and definitely a top recommendation from golf instructors.
5. PuttOut Pressure Putt Trainer
Best Portable Putting Training Aid
- Curved parabolic apparatus designed to promote putting with correct pace and line
- The curved design returns good putts and rejects bad
- Flexibly polycarbonate construction that is foldable and transparent
- Successful putts are returned the same distance for providing feedback
- Easily portable, you can take it anywhere with you
- A simple device that provides immediate feedback on your putting
- Mainly focuses on improving the pace of your putts and accuracy
- Easy to set up and allows frequent putting
- Pricey for a relatively small apparatus
- Difficult to hit the perfect putt every time
- Requires a carpet surface or actual putting mat for best use
- No alignment aids
If you want to filter out your bad putts from the good, the PuttOut Pressure Putt Trainer is the right putting aid for you. It is written in the product name, think about that par putt you need to shoot your best 9-hole score, or that 6-foot knee-knocking birdie putt to win those skins off your buddies. You need to make your best stroke, and this trainer can hone your putting game for every situation!
The best part of this training aid is it gives immediate feedback on your putts. You will instantly know if you hit your putt too hard, or aim slightly offline. Only perfectly hit putts will hit the target in this golf training aid. If your focus is more geared towards improving the pace of your putts, the PuttOut Pressure Putt Trainer will greatly improve your stroke. This is our top recommendation if you want to improve the pace of your putts and are less worried about alignment, you definitely have to check out the PuttOut Pressure Putt Trainer!
6. Visio Laser Optics Putting Aid
Best High Tech Putting Aid for Golfers of all skill levels
- Easy to use producing a precise visual of the target line
- Tripod is convenient
- Player’s can trace any target line and aim points they like
- Protective pouch is great for storage and portability
- Pricey product!
- Does not provide feedback on putting stroke setup or pace
Now we get into some fancier tech training aids. Lasers are fairly popular among experienced golfers to help dial in their putting. Primarily they ensure you are aimed properly and your putts start on the desired line. The Visio Laser Optics simply shoots a refined laser towards your aiming point and you can practice putting along that line. If you consistently follow the line into the hole, then you must be practicing well.
Lasers are a great visualization tool to help you hone putting accuracy. The Visio Laser Optics Putting Aid will help you visualize your line and gain confidence in your stroke and alignment. This is truly one of the top putting aids on the market, and the price tag definitely reflects this. Overall, if you are looking for a professional quality putting training aid, this is one every golfer needs to check out!
7. WellPutt Putting Mat
Best Innovative Putting Mat with Training Exercises
- Visuals give golfers many putting exercise options
- Works on a golfer’s accuracy and putting pace
- Simulates green speed of 10ft for accuracy training, 11.5ft for speed control training
- All mat designs are approved by professional golf instructor Cameron McCormick (golf superstar Jordan Spieth’s coach)
- Wellputt App included
- Over 50 putting games featured with the Wellputt App to hone your putting skills
- Great way to develop speed control
- Lines on the mat help with setup and putter aim
- Durable construction material
- Only gives you one green speed. Actual conditions during your round may be different
- Fairly pricey
Practicing putting can feel a little monotonous, but our friends at WellPutt have made it more interesting with their putting mat designs. This is a putting aid that will improve your accuracy, alignment, speed control and feel! Different mats feature different color combinations and visuals for helping with almost every aspect of your game.
The Wellputt app is included with purchase and provides over 50 games to help refine your putting. It is convenient and fun to have around the house. You can have your friends over and challenge them to a game or two. The thing about putting is you are never just putting a straight in putt, and this putting matt give specific exercises to simulate different situations. If you are looking for an innovative putting matt, this is one you surely need to check out!
8. Pelz Golf DP4007 Putting Tutor
Best Putting Training Aid for improving pure contact
- Easy to use and set up
- Compact and portable in your golf bag
- Improves alignment and consistency
- Provides immediate feedback on poor putts
- Fairly pricey for a small apparatus
From the putting guru himself, Dave Pelz has brought the Putting Tutor to life to help your game on the greens. It is a simple plate design with an aiming line and steel marble guides to provide feedback on starting your putts on the right line. If your ball hits one of the marbles, you know your putt is headed in the wrong direction.
A simple tool with a simple concept to mold that consistent putting stroke. You can bring this putting aid anywhere with you and it will surely improve your putting. If you are looking for a simple and compact putting training aid, this is the perfect option to practice your game literally anywhere!
9. Laser Putt Golf Putting Aid
Best Casual Waterproof Golf Shoe
- Laser apparatus that adapts to your putter shaft and shoots different laser colors on the green
- Red laser shows precise apex of your backstroke to improve backswing consistency
- Green laser reveals how you are aligned and where you hit your putts
- Used by hundreds of touring professionals who have won major tournaments
- Easy to use and accurate
- Portable device easily stored in your golf bag
- Solid material quality
- Adaption to the putter can become loose
- Pricey, look for discounts!
Another superb putting improvement aid is the Laser Putt Golf Putting Aid. It is easy to use and interpret what you are doing right and where to improve. Not only does it help align your putts, but it helps you develop a consistent backstroke as well to improve feel and distance control! The front laser will show you if you have pushed or pulled your putts.
The Laser Putt is a comprehensive aid that not only improves accuracy but hones your backstroke and forward stroke of your putting. If you want a putting aid used by professionals all around the world, this is one of the best options for getting a read on your backstroke and the putt itself! Overall, one of the best putting training aids on the market and we can’t say enough good things about this one.
10. Pelz Putting O-Ball
Best Putting Aid to bring to the golf course
- Instant feedback on every putt
- Alignment aids on the ball reveal if you hit the ball correctly
- Pairs well with the Putting Tutor
- Relatively cheap for 3 balls
- Does not help with distance control
We feature another Dave Pelz simple training aid product, the Putting O-Balls. These have been fairly popular over the years in improving aim and alignment. Essentially, the golf balls have distinct lines that give golfers instant feedback if they have hit their putts properly or not. A squarely struck putt will have the ball’s lines appear perfectly straight when rolling. If struck improperly, the lines will not appear straight.
Easy to use on any putting green and surface. These O-Balls give you the feedback you need to improve your putting stroke. It is the perfect training aid to bring to the course and work out on the practice green before you round, and definitely the most cost effective!
Types of Golf Putting Training Aids
Before buying a putting aid, it is important to figure out which aspects of your putting stroke you want to improve. There are some questions you can ask yourself. Do I need to improve my aim or alignment? Am I having trouble hitting the center of my putter clubface? Am I misjudging the speed of the greens often? Do I feel nervous over short putts?
Putting is one the toughest part of the golf game. No one is perfect at it, and we can all find room for improvement in this space. Putting can be a great mystery. Whether you have trouble with one or multiple aspects of the stroke, narrowing down what you want to improve on can help you find the right putting aid for you.
1. Alignment Putting Aids
As the name describes, alignment putting aids help work on your aim. If you’re not aimed on the desired line, and you don’t hit your golf ball along the desired path, you can’t expect to putt well and during your rounds. Simple as that. Sure, you may get lucky and your ball may catch the edge of the hole and drop. You could start the ball on the wrong line and may get lucky with the break helping curve the ball into the hole. However, your golfing life will be a lot easier if you aim consistently and start your putts on the desired line.
Alignment putting aids can help your eyes visualize the desired line, and can also help you hit your putts on the center of the clubface. Practice improves your consistency, and if you practice with an alignment aid, you will very likely see your scores drop on the course.
2. Guided Putting Aids
You might have heard the phrase “straight back and straight through” for putting. Certainly, your putting stroke is similar to a pendulum motion, but it doesn’t swing in a perfectly straight line. Since you stand a small distance away from the ball and slightly bent over when addressing your putt, the path of your putter head takes a slight natural arc. The curved path for the clubhead creates the natural challenge in putting – timing the clubface to hit the ball ‘square’ at impact.
Guided putting aids help golfers develop a consistent putting arc in their stroke. It primarily helps develop the muscle memory in your putting stroke such that after plenty of practice and when you get comfortable, the motion and putting arc feels natural. These aids will help your putter swing along the proper path so you can strike your putts solid and drain those birdies.
3. Putting Mats
Another great way to improve your putting is using a putting mat. You can set this up at your house or at your office if that works for you. It can be a great way to spend some downtime, and certainly the pandemic can keep us avid golfers at home during the off season. Why not spend that time sharpening up your putting before the season starts?
The putting mat is the next best thing to an actual practice green. The mat can simulate green conditions. Of course, you are limited to one green speed. However, there are various putting mat designs that are decorated with plenty of targets, alignment aids and color patterns to help your putting. You can even combine your putting mat with an alignment or guided putting aid to further hone your putting stroke.
A putting mat can help you build confidence on the greens and allow you to practice consistently. Rust in our games can build up quick. To keep those scores low, we have to keep practicing.
Wrapping it all up
As you have read about, there are a ton of different putting aids to help all aspects of a golfers putting game. Whether you need assistance on your alignment, stroke, or the pace of your putts we have you covered! Let us know what you think by dropping us a comment below!