As the pandemic begins to clear, we hope all avid golfers look forward to planning their next golf vacations and jetting off abroad. If you are playing at least two rounds during your trip, its likely more economic to pay the baggage fee on your flight and save on golf club rental costs at golf courses. Ensuring your golf clubs get from point A to B safely and undamaged is where golf travel bags come into play.
No golfer wants to pick up their luggage only to see their clubheads scratched or dented, or worse their driver shaft snapped. Golf clubs are expensive and replacing them is a headache to say the least. Even if you get new clubs, it may feel different in your hands, you’ll have to get used to them again. Investing in a proper travel bag will be one of the best decisions you make for yourself if you frequently fly abroad to play golf.
Looking at it another way, if you’re on your bucket list trip to play world renowned courses or high-profile golf resorts, you’d want to play your own clubs at these wonderful places.
From personal experience, dealing with a travel golf bag isn’t much hassle. As long as you get yourself a bag that is sturdy and easy to use, you can minimize your luggage worries. There are many choices for golf travel bags. Below we review 10 of the best golf travel bags available on market. If you haven’t explored this space before, later in the article we also guide you through several factors to consider when shopping for your travel bag.
The Best Golf Travel Bag
Club Glove Last Bag Pro
Best Overall Golf Travel Bag
The ultimate combination of durability and protection for your clubs, this is the top choice among many for the best golf travel bag
Club Glove has a stellar reputation for making premium golf travel bags, with a few different models we have reviewed in this article the Last Bag Pro gets our choice for the best golf travel bag because of the high quality construction and superior durability for multiple seasons of heavy use!
Runner Up Golf Travel Bag
Bag Boy T-10
Runner Up Travel Bag
This golf bag has everything you need, with a hard cover that is removable and the golf bag is ready to roll right on the course
We love this golf travel bag because of its simplicity without sacrificing any protection or padding for your clubs. With interior straps to ensure your clubs are secure and the hard top for improved protection for those long trips, this is a great choice for your next golf travel bag!
Best Hardcover Golf Travel Bag
SKB Deluxe ATA
Best Hardcover Golf Travel Bag
Just looking at this golf travel bag, you can tell it is going to be basically indestructible which is exactly what you want to keep your clubs secure
The SKB Deluxe ATA golf travel bag gets our nod for the best fully hardcover travel case! If you are looking for that next level of protection and don’t mind the extra weight this may be the choice for you. Goes without saying, the protection and durability of this bag is second to none and a great choice for serious golfers!
Club Glove Last Bag Pro
Top Golf Travel Bag
This gets our pick for the best golf travel bag, with superior protection yet foldable for easy storage this is a huge win for golfers of any caliber
Bag Boy T-10
Top Putter for High Handicap Golfers
A nice combination of hard and soft protection, with a little less added space since the bag itself is ready to go for the course
Budget Friendly Putter
A bulletproof option for those concerned about their clubs and don’t mind a little extra weight, this will be sure to keep your clubs extra safe
Want to know what the best golf bags are to go with your new travel bag? Click and check out our guide!
Our Research and Findings
The Best Golf Travel Bags Reviewed
Table of Contents
- 1 The Best Golf Travel Bags Reviewed
- 1.1 1. Club Glove Last Pro – Best Overall Golf Travel Bag
- 1.2 2. Bad Boy Golf T-10 – Runner Up Golf Travel Bag
- 1.3 3. Sun Mountain ClubGlider Meridian Golf Travel Bag
- 1.4 4. CaddyDaddy Constrictor 2 – Best Budget Travel Golf Bag
- 1.5 5. Club Glove Last Bag Collegiate
- 1.6 6. AmazonBasics Golf Travel Bag – Better Than Nothing Option
- 1.7 7. SKB Deluxe ATA Hard Cover Golf Travel Bag
- 1.8 8. Caddymatic Hard Top Shell Golf Travel Bag
- 1.9 9. OGIO Mutant Golf Travel Bag
- 1.10 10. Samsonite Golf Hard Sided Travel Bag
- 2 Buyers Guide for Golf Travel Bags
- 3 Conclusion
1. Club Glove Last Pro – Best Overall Golf Travel Bag
- Material include Invista ™ Cordura 1000 D water resistant nylon
- Webbing reinforcement on the bag’s rear end with nylon base reinforcement
- YKK zippers and ITW Buckles
- Carry handle with over the top zipper
- Restrain device included to secure the golf clubs
- Snap ID card holder included
- Exterior dimensions: 51” H x 19” W x 16” D
- 5-year warranty option
- Light weight design
- High quality materials used
- Multiple options for color
- Wheels make the bag easy to steer and handle
- Side pockets are convenient
- Generous warranty
- This is a high end product and comes in at a higher price point
One of the top choices for a quality and premium golf travel bag is the Club Glove Last Bag Large Pro. It is a trusted brand and design and is used widely by professional golf players. This is also a reason why it is relatively expensive. However, if you travel often and squeeze in plenty of golf when away from home, this bag will serve you well for many years.
This Club Glove bag is very durable. It is made of Cordura 1000D nylon, which is both stronger than regular nylon and is also water resistant. Additionally, it features a nylon-based webbing for structural reinforcement, as well as a restraining device to keep golf clubs in place. They bag itself provides plenty of space such that it can easily fit tour and cart bags.
The Club Glove Last Bag is a soft-shell bag that is relatively light, weighing at only 10.6lbs. It has plenty of interior padding, and all the pockets, zippers and buckles you need for all your accessories. It also come with two wheels and conveniently placed handles allowing you to easily maneuver the bag.
If you want to have peace of mind that your clubs are protected and a bag that is also easy to transport, the Last Bag Large Pro is a great choice for you. It’s called Last Bag because you will never have to shop for another travel bag!
2. Bad Boy Golf T-10 – Runner Up Golf Travel Bag
- 600D Soft polyester shell with a hard ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) top cover
- Skid resistant ABS base with skate wells for easy mobility
- 2 oversized external shoe/garment pockets
- 2 internal mesh pockets
- Heavy duty anti-burst strap
- Comes in Black/Graphite color
- Can easily fit a tour or cart bag and up to a 48-inch driver
- ABS top cover provides maximum protection for clubheads
- Anti-burst strap adapted on the ABS top for convenient handling
- Internal and external pockets are convenient
- Polyester body can fold and store in the hard top for organization
- Hard Top cover can be clunky and heavy to handle
- Polyester fabric body can wear out over time
The Bag Boy Golf T-10 Hard Top gives golfers the best of both worlds. It is a travel bag with a soft-shell body and a hard top to provide maximum protection for your clubheads. On top of that, the bag is equipped with wheels, straps and plenty of pockets for your travel needs.
The most stand-out feature of this bag is the hard top. It is a crush-resistant ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) material that covers your clubheads. The soft-shell is an all-weather 600D polyester fabric that ensures your bag and clubs are cushioned and stored safely.
The Bag Boy hits on all the important points: durable, protective, plenty of storage space, easy to mange. This is another solid travel bag choice that will have golf players at peace when travelling with their clubs.
A big bonus to this bag is the generous number of pockets. There are 2 exterior and 2 interior pockets giving golf players plenty of space to pack their shoes, golf clothes and other accessories they need. Golf players can free up space in their normal luggage and keep their entire golf packing organized.
This bag is also equipped with bottom wheels and a top strap for easy steering when you’re getting through the airport. Definitely one of our top choices for the best golf travel bag for your clubs!
3. Sun Mountain ClubGlider Meridian Golf Travel Bag
- 4-wheel design with retracting leg extension with wheels for easy transport
1200 Denier polyester fabric design
- Heavy-duty, two-way zippers along the full length of the bag
- Internal straps for securing bag and clubs
- Exterior pockets for extra storage
- Leg extensions allows golf players to unpack travel bag without crouching down
- High quality and durable materials used
- Good level of protection with additional storage pockets
- Internal straps are useful for tightly securing golf bag
Not much internal padding
- Leg extensions add to the overall weight
Plenty of storage, protection and great maneuverability. This is what you get with the Sun Mountain ClubGlider Meridian travel bag. Sun Mountain has been around the block making great travel bags over the years, however the ClubGlider is one of their standout products.
The most distinguishable feature is the retractable leg extensions. This is a foldable feature that raises the bag off the ground allowing you to pack and unpack without having to kneel or crouch down by the ground. The extensions also have attached pivoting wheels. Combined with the two other wheels on the travel bag itself, this feature gives golfers the ability to easily move and steer their bag
The ClubGlider is manufactured with 1200 Denier polyester fabric, which is a durable material. This provides plenty of padding inside and out protecting your clubs. Also, it is a bag that should last you many golf seasons and travel excursions. Additional features include the internal straps and exterior pockets. The straps are great for securing your bag so they don’t move and shift during travel. The exterior pockets are convenient for packing additional accessories.
We love this travel bag setup and how easy Sun Mountain has made it for golfers to pack. It is priced on the higher end, but we view this as a great investment if you frequently travel for golf.
4. CaddyDaddy Constrictor 2 – Best Budget Travel Golf Bag
- North Pole Golf Club Protector included
1800D Nylon Construction
- 2 Oversized pockets for additional storage with lockable zippers
- External and internal straps and clamps for firmly securing golf bag
- In-line skate wheels for easy steering
- 1-year full replacement warranty included
- 9 lbs weight
- Lightweight, easy to handle
- Plenty of storage space, oversized pockets allow for more packing
- Lockable zippers and compression straps firmly secure clubs
- Great amount of padding on the bag top
- Very attractive price
- Not foldable
Prefer more padding around the bag’s body
We feature the CaddyDaddy Constrictor 2 as our best budget pick. For a great price, you get quite a lot with this golf travel bag. Not only is it a lightweight design, you can rest assured your golf clubs will be protected very well through your travels.
Starting with the design, the CaddyDaddy Constrictor 2 is a lightweight construct with thick and durable 1800D Nylon. This material can withstand plenty of wear and tear so the bag can last you many years of travel. The travel bag also features lockable zippers as well as internal and external straps for holding your bag in place.
One of the main features is the North Pole Protector. This is an adjustable aluminum length stick that fixes the length of the bag up to 52 inches so ensure it doesn’t fold and damage your clubs. If there is one drawback, the body of the travel bag could use more cushioning for additional protection. However, the internal straps and highly padded top of the bag should provide good protection for your clubheads.
There are two oversized pockets on the exterior of this bag. They have plenty of room for storing your shoes or additional balls you want to bring. They also feature side pockets for holding additional trinkets and accessories. Overall, this is a great choice for any golfers travel bag and definitely worth checking out.
5. Club Glove Last Bag Collegiate
- Collapsible bag weighing only 8 lbs
- Material include Invista ™ Cordura 1000 D water resistant nylon
- Nylon base reinforcement
- YKK zippers and ITW Buckles
- Comes with two rear wheels
- Carry handle with over the top zipper
- 2 exterior pockets
- Exterior dimensions: 51” H x 15” W x 14” D
- 5-year warranty option
- Lightweight design with durable materials for protection
- Easy to maneuver
- Exterior pockets are great for shoe and other golf accessory storage
- Still on the expensive side although cheaper than the Large Pro
Club Glove manufactures high quality golf travel bags we had to review their other top seller. The Last Bag Collegiate is a slightly smaller version than the Large Pro we review earlier. If you use a smaller bag than a tour or cart bag to hold your clubs, there is no need to buy the larger one. The Collegiate will still be adequate.
The Collegiate is smaller than the Large Pro, therefore it weighs slightly less. However, it is constructed with the same heavy duty Cordura 1000 D nylon material. Combined with the same buckles and zippers setup, your golf bag will be secured and protected during your travels.
The wheel setup and exterior pockets are the same. There is plenty of space to pack your accessories. Of course, the ID card holder and carry handles come standard. This is an all-weather bag that is water resistant.
Chances are the average golf player doesn’t use larger tour bag. They may use cart bags or the less bulkier carry bags. For a cheaper price compared to the Large Pro, the Collegiate should more than serve your needs. The high-quality design the comes with the Club Glove brand name is why this is constantly ranked as one of the top golf travel bags year after year! We wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this brand, as Club Glove products are all high quality and definitely worth the investment.
Check out our guide on the best electric golf pull carts! You won’t regret finding the cart to navigate your home course
6. AmazonBasics Golf Travel Bag – Better Than Nothing Option
- Composed of durable nylon fabric with reinforced stress points
- Inline-skate wheels, heavy-duty curb rails, riveted handles
- Compression straps and heavily padded top section
- Multiple exterior pockets
- Exterior dimensions: 50” H x 13” W x 15” D
- 8.65lbs weight
- Plenty of storage space
- Highly durable bag made from strong nylon fabric
- Rolling system is smooth and allows easy bag steering in airports
- Additional pockets are very convenient providing extra storage
- Light weight and cheap price
- Some Amazon reviews reporting the bag is too bulky and can rip easy
For a very attractive price, the AmazonBasics Soft-Sided Golf Travel Bag can be yours for your golfing adventures. This is one of the most economical and well-designed bags we have researched and it comes with plenty of storage and features.
This travel bag will fit your golf clubs no issue, and also offers plenty of protection. The AmazonBasics bag is composed of waterproof nylon fabric that is very durable. There are interior compression straps for securing your golf bag, while the top section is padded with extra cushion to focus protection around the clubheads.
There are multiple exterior pockets for your golf shoes, towels, clothing and accessories. It’s also equipped with inline-skate wheels on the bottom and is surprisingly light at less than 9lbs.
It may be prudent to purchase additional bag support, such as the Bag Boy Backbone Travel Cover Support, that you can place in the bag to keep it from folding. There have been some reviews of drivers getting snapped because the bag folded during a turbulent travel or mishandling of the bag. If you are just looking for a bag cover to get you from point A to B and aren’t worried about the style or protection, this is definitely the choice to make!
7. SKB Deluxe ATA Hard Cover Golf Travel Bag
- Hard-shell design made of durable polyethylene
- Enough storage space to fit shoes and other accessories in addition to your clubs. Can fit drivers up to 48”
- Secure fit prevents dust and debris from entering the case
- TSA Locking System
- Comes with Unconditional Lifetime Warranty and $1,500 Club Coverage
- Most durable travel case on market, incredibly strong
- Plenty of storage space. Capable of fitting at tour staff bag
- Water and debris resistant
- Higher price point and relatively heavy at 15 lbs
The SKB Deluxe ATA Hard Cover Travel Case is like a safety deposit box for your golf bag during your golf trips. Only you can get inside and everything is pretty much fully protected. Although this golf travel case is on the higher end of the price range it comes with a lifetime warranty and a $1,500 Club coverage policy. That is a high level of confidence from SKB that their travel case will adequately protect your golf clubs.
Made with sturdy polyethylene, this Travel Case is one of the strongest hard-shell golf travel cases on market. If you don’t mind the heavier weight it comes in (15lbs), you can be certain it will not only protect your clubs, but it can also store golf shoes, and have space for other smaller accessories.
If you don’t mind spending the extra dollar, the SKB ATA Travel Case will give you peace of mind for your clubs wherever you are jetting off to play some golf. SKB actually has different versions of this travel case for different bag sizes – Deluxe, Standard and Deluxe Standard. The Deluxe is the largest one and can hold Cart Bags and Tour Bags, while the standard can easily fit your carry bags!
8. Caddymatic Hard Top Shell Golf Travel Bag
Specifications and Features:
- Durable 1860D polyester material on the lower half
- Hard-shell ABS top to protect clubheads
- 2 Inline wheels for easy maneuvering through the airport
- 2 exterior side pockets
- Internal padding, internal strapping system and an ID window slot
- Long enough accommodate a 49” driver
- Soft-body can fold into the hard top for easy storage
- Attractive price
- Past reviews of bulkiness
- Surprisingly a tight fit for larger sized cart bags
Similar to the Bag Boy Hard Top, the CaddyMatic Hard Top Shell Padded Golf Travel bag features a soft-shell body pared with a hard-shell top. The soft-shell side can fold easily into the hard-shell making this travel case easy to store and organize. This travel case is made of polyester on the soft-side body and ABS on the hard top. It is fairly durable; however, we have come across the odd review at the polyester can rip. This bag is also equipped with 2 inline wheels make it easy to steer through the airport. The two exterior pockets are great for storing your shoes and extra golf clothing!
Internal padding and straps within this travel case keeps your golf clubs from damage during their journey. Although, one thing to note is this case is a pretty tight fit for cart bags, and does not fit tour staff sized bags. You may want to consider other options if you use these bags. Price-wise this bag is very attractive given what it offers. It may not be the most durable bag, but will last you at least a few seasons
The Caddymatic golf travel bags are definitely top of the line products and the customer reviews you will read will definitely back up this claim. The Hard Top Shell padded golf travelling bag is a top choice for the versatility and protection it offers your golf clubs. The two inline wheels make it easy to maneuver around and you won’t be fighting it in the airport or heading to the course. This is a excellent choice for a golf carry bag and it is one that surely will not let you down season after season!
9. OGIO Mutant Golf Travel Bag
- Large internally padded main compartment and fully padded top compartment
- Two large exterior pockets with internal cinch-down strap for securing golf bag
- Exterior compression straps
- 2 Oversized wheels
- Reinforced base with protective rails
- Lightweight design at 8.2lbs
- Large enough to fit tour and stand bags
- Wide-base reduces tendency to tip
- Main compartment has plenty room to hold additional accessories
- High price point
- Wide compartment can be bulky and hard to store
If you pack plenty of accessories onto of your golf gear, the OGIO Mutant Golf Travel Bag is a great choice for you. Featuring an enlarged main compartment as well as 2 large exterior pockets, golfers can pack a near-endless number of items for their trip.
The OGIO Mutant also features interior and exterior compression straps that help secure the golf bag so they don’t shift around during travel. Two oversized wheels are also part of the design providing easy mobility and balance when the bag is standing upwards. Reinforced base and rails are also adapted to the bag itself to prevent folding and ultimately snapping of golf shafts.
The Mutant is a fantastic design soft cover bag that provides incredible storage. The only drawback is some golfers may find it too bulky given the large storage capacity, and they are on the expensive side but definitely worth checking out if you are looking for a golf travel bag. We love this golf travel bag for its oversized compartments for clothing and gear and also for its internal padding in the main compartment!
10. Samsonite Golf Hard Sided Travel Bag
- Durable and lightweight ABS Shell
- Padded quilted interior with additional foam cushioning
- 4-wheel design multi-directional spinner wheels with 2 inline skate wheels
- Internal compression straps for securing golf bag
- Hard-shell offers maximum protection
- 4-wheel system makes it smooth and easy to steer the travel case
- Clunky given the hard-shell nature
- Takes up a lot of room and is hard to store
- Best suited for carry bags, tour bags and cart bags won’t fit
One other top name in the luggage world is Samsonite. If you prefer hard-shell golf travel cases, their Hard Side Travel Cover Case is worth considering because it will ensure your clubs are fully protected through your entire flight.
This travel case features both internal and external protection. The entire exterior is made of lightweight and durable ABS material. On the inside, space is padded with quilt and foam cushions to ensure your clubs have a gentle ride.
There is plenty of space on the inside to fit your shoes and accessories on top of your carry bag. However, one thing to note is tour staff bags and cart bags are likely too large for this travel case.
One other great feature worth mentioning is the wheel system. It features 4 multi-directional wheels that allow the case to glide in any direction. Two additional inline skate wheels allowing the case to be pulled or pushed.
This may not be the cheapest golf travel bag on the market but it is extremely sturdy and you feel confident your clubs will be pristine after any trip. The money is well spent on really beefing up the design with extra padding and higher strength material on the exterior, so your clubs will be unblemished after you watch the airline attendant carelessly toss them on the baggage cart. Definitely one of the best golf travel bags this year and we highly recommend checking this one out!
Buyers Guide for Golf Travel Bags
There is no shortage of options when shopping for golf travel bags. So, which one should you get for yourself? Before you jump into buying, it is valuable to answer some questions for yourself as a guide. In addition to your clubs, know what other golf-related accessories and equipment you need to pack.
We go through several factors below that should help you in your search!
1. Headaches with Airlines
Let’s face it, we’ve all seen airport workers on the tarmac mishandle traveller’s luggage. Bags and suitcases are tossed around and thrown as they are loaded and unloaded from the plane. The workers may not necessarily care for the fragility, they’re just trying to do their job as fast as they can. But this type of handling can lead to broken and damaged golf clubs.
If your golf clubs do get damaged during the trip, you can make a claim for reimbursement from the airlines. Of course, dealing with airlines is a long painful process that could include plenty of paperwork and time at your expense. Further to that, you may not receive full value back for the damage.
Typically, airlines charge between $25 and $50 for your golf travel bag depending on weight. It is crucial to double check the airlines’ rules because they can differ.
Being wary of this is important. Having this picture in your head can influence the kind of golf travel bag you want to get. This may all sound like a nightmare scenario. We just want our readers to be wary and prepared before they travel. Make sure your clubs are protected!
2. Travel Bag Sizing
Of course, the golf travel bag needs to be large enough to fit your clubs and bag. Most travel bags are designed to fit carry bags and stand-up bags. However, if golf players want to stuff their golf shoes, extra golf clothing and accessories into the travel bag, make sure you buy one that has additional space. Some golf players may use the larger sized tour bags, so ensure that the golf travel bag can more than cover the space.
3. Hard Shell vs Soft Cover
As you may have noticed, the wide selections of golf travel bags are designed with either a soft or hard exterior case. Both offer their advantages and disadvantages that tailor to golf players’ needs.
A hard case golf travel bag has a rigid protective shell surrounding it. This is probably the best option for protecting your clubs from any kind of damage. However, they are typically more expensive, larger in overall size and heavier. This makes them more of a hassle to carry throughout your vacation. Typically, hard cases can’t be folded either so they take up space. On the other hand, they do last longer than soft cases.
Soft case golf travel bags are easier to transport and cheaper. They are also smaller than the hard case travel bags making it easier to handle and store. These bags typically have layers of padding on the interior, which is the main protective feature. Unfortunately, the soft case design is more susceptible to damage and travel wear and tear than hard case travel bags. It is best to choose a bag with the most amount of padding to ensure a high level of protection for your clubs.
4. Pockets – How Many do you Need?
It’s never a bad thing to have a few convenient pockets on your golf travel bag. These can come in really handy and make your travels a lot easier. Travel bag pockets can hold any smaller golf trinkets and accessories you need to bring (i.e. box of golf balls, golf towel, extra gloves, other accessories). Having these as part of one package makes your golf luggage very accessible, organized and convenient.
Some golf travel bags come with oversized pockets for your shoes, golf pullovers/rain jacket, or extra hats. Maybe you can’t fit a few things in your regular suitcase. Those items can go into these pockets of your travel bag, how convenient!
Both hard case and soft case golf travel bags are commonly equipped with wheels. They either have 2 wheels and a handle allowing golfers to pull the bag with them while in front. Other golf bags can have up to 4 weeks allowing golf players to push or pull the bag with them.
We recommend getting yourself a travel bag that has wheels. Carrying a heavy golf bag is not comfortable at all, especially if you are already carrying a suitcase or two on your travels. Wheels make the experience so much easier.
Continuing with keeping things convenient, having a relatively light golf travel bag also makes the experience better. If you travel frequently for golf, a lighter bag is easier to handle and transport. With heavier golf travel bags, the risk of injury is there if you don’t handle it properly. Unless you are adamant a hard-case bag gives you peace of mind on your clubs, a lighter soft case golf travel bag is recommended.
Golf travel bags have a wide price range. As you can see it is dependent on the design and material quality. Finding a bag that adheres to your budget but also lasts you many seasons is a recommended approach. You definitely don’t want to cheap out on a bag that easily wears out. Keep in mind that you have already spent plenty of dollars to build your nice set of irons, wedges, putter and driver. You want to ensure they are well protected. If you splurge on the higher quality bags, be sure to put it to good use as you travel on your golf adventures.
Golf travel bags typically come with warranty. The length and conditions depend on the manufacturer you buy from and what they offer. Some are more generous than others. You want to understand exactly the warranty policy offer in case something happens to your bag. Hard-case travel bags last longer than soft-case bags, so a warranty policy is more important for the latter design.
You may not think of a golf travel bag as a crucial piece of equipment, until you have to go on a trip either on a plane or packed in a car for a long distance drive with your golfing crew. The added protection is a massive benefit considering you are likely carting around clubs worth a total of $2,000 at least!
Our top choice for the best golf travel bag is the Club Golf Last Bag Collegiate, due to its superior protection and added bonus of a five year warranty! You can’t go wrong with any of the products we have reviewed in this article, and the choice really comes down to budget and how often you will be needing a golf travel bag. If you have any comments or opinions on this article please drop us a comment below!